I offer the following types of editing:Copyediting
, which includes:
- ensuring clarity
- adjusting writing style to fit the intended audience
- correcting grammatical errors
- ensuring consistency
- suggesting changes to figures and illustrations
- reformatting references to fit standard styles
- querying the author about unclear sentences
- applying house style
- discussing changes with the author and agreeing on a final version
I mainly edit on screen, as I
- checking that the scientific content makes sense
- checking that no necessary sections or pieces of information are missing
- rearranging to improve the logical flow
- shortening to a word limit
- rewriting unclear or wordy text
- suggesting areas for the author to work on further
use a range of macros and sophisticated search and replace tools to speed up the process. I work in Microsoft Word 2007 and can edit files in .doc, .docx, .odt and .rtf formats.
I am particularly experienced at editing text written by non-native speakers of English and in making dense academic text more accessible for a general scientific audience.
I also offer copyediting of biomedical manuscripts directly to scientists. If you have peer reviewed a manuscript and the referees say that it needs editing by a native English speaker, and you do not have the budget to edit the paper in house, I would be happy to offer my services to the authors.