My rates are negotiated individually with each customer.
If you would like a quote for work on a manuscript, please email
me with the following details:
- the title and abstract (or at least the subject area)
- the number of words in the main text and legends of the manuscript
- the number of references
- the number of figures
- the number of tables
- the service you are looking for (assessing, substantive editing, copyediting or formatting)
- how soon you need the work done.
Please do NOT send your manuscript with your first enquiry; if I need to see it in order to quote, I will ask for it.
Urgent jobs cost more.
As a guide, rates generally don't work out lower than the SfEP suggested minimum rates
per hour and consultancy rates are higher.
I can accept payment in most major currencies.
The time I will need to work on your manuscript will depend on the other work that I have at the time. If I cannot do the work in the time you have available, I will say so immediately. If I am available, formatting
a manuscript can usually be done by the next working day and copyediting
within 3 working days for a typical research paper. For substantive editing
5 working days is more commonly needed.
When requesting a quote, please say how urgent the work is.
Terms and conditions
As an Advanced Member
of the UK Society for Editors and Proofreaders, I abide by the SfEP Code of Practice
. This includes the following commitments:
- To give a true and fair representation of my qualifications, experience and skills
only accept jobs that I believe I can carry out to an acceptable
standard, and to inform the customer immediately if I discover that this
will be difficult
- To ensure that the terms of a job are clearly defined at the outset, preferably in writing
- To keep confidential information confidential
- Not to subcontract work without the knowledge and consent of the customer
make my self-employed status known to customers and to take responsibility
for my business and for tax and other obligations that this involves
The Code of Practice
also states that I expect the following from customers:
- Prompt payment within a specified time,
agreed in advance. I will charge interest and compensation in the event
of late payment.
- The customer bears ultimate
responsibility for matters relating to:
- incitement to racial hatred
- reproduction of