I can assess your paper to make sure it fits common criteria for journals. For example, I can check that:
- the text as a whole flows logically
- the paper and its sections fit within the length limit for the intended journal
- evidence is given for all statements, in the form of either experimental results or a reference to another publication
- relevant guidelines are followed (for example, MIAME for microarray papers and CONSORT for clinical trial papers)
- the title and abstract are an accurate reflection of the content of the paper
- common errors in figure and table formatting are avoided
- the terminology and units used are standard
- necessary statements are provided, such as ethical approval, patient consent and conflict of interest
No changes are made to the paper in an assessment. You will get a letter explaining what potential problems have been found and what can be done about them.
If you would like help with making the changes highlighted in a manuscript assessment, I can provide substantive editing
I can also suggest journals to which the manuscript could best be submitted (see Consultancy).